Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Best of 2008 (part 2)

10. Elliot Brood - Mountain Meadows: I enjoy praising "raspy vocals" in my reviews, and generally I'm a sucker for them just out of preference.  And with Elliot Brood, the lead singer's voice couldn't be more raspier.  However, even for me, the instruments really steal the show here.  But what surprised me most was how much I loved the numerous instrumental tracks.  Dark country influenced piano solos and acoustic guitars take the reigns, guiding each instrumental like a narrative - calling the effect atmospheric is an understatement.

9. Ra Ra Riot - The Rhumb Line: Quiet, reserved, calming indie rock never sounded so good.  The New York group's full length debut stayed in constant rotation for weeks after release and had me questioning my punk-rock allegiances.  Songs flow seamlessly together but retain distinctive qualities.  That the band created such an impressionable release after losing their lead songwriter (he passed away) is a credit to Ra Ra Riot's shared musicianship between its crew.

8. Ghoultown - Life After Sundown: As far as I'm concerned, at this point Ghoultown can do no wrong.  With Life After Sundown they have proved themselves the undisputed kings of the dead west.  By blending spaghetti western and outlaw-like sounds with punk and metal sensibilities, the band creates a soundscape unlike any other.  They've also upped their lyrical game, writing epics that had me on the edge of my seat.  Sure, they're a novelty band, but quite possibly one of the best around.
 
7. Okkervil River - The Stand-ins: Part two of what was originally intended as a double release, The Stand-ins picks up where last year's masterpiece, The Stage Names, left off.  I'd venture to say that songs like "Lost Coastlines" actually surpass last year's effort, but that may just be that I'm still awe struck by these indie marvels making year end lists for the second year in a row.  

6. The Hold Steady - Stay Positive: I have to admit, I missed out on 2006's critically acclaimed Boys and Girls in America, so my reference point may be a little different than most.  But as an introduction to the band, Stay Positive was more than I could have ever hoped for.  The songs are catchy on a grand scale, but but thanks to the borderline sloppy vocals retain an unpredictable quality.  I'd be doing a great injustice if I didn't comment on the narration, so I'll briefly praise captivating stories and unforgettable characters that help make Stay Positive more then memorable.

5. The Gaslight Anthem - The '59 Sound: In addition to that wonderful EP, the band also managed to put out an incredibly solid full length album in 2008.  They've come a long way since their 2007 debut, more completely defining themselves through their Springsteen overtones and odes to various musical inspirations.  But they're so much more than a tribute band.  They take mastery of their influences, making songs that are entirely their own, and in may cases that surpass their idols.  Simply put, The '59 Sound can not only be appreciated, but loved by people from practically any musical preference.

4. The Tom Fun Orchestra - You Will Land With a Thud: You Will Land With a Thud was one of the very first albums in 2008 where I instantly knew I had found something classic.  The band has a distinct Nova Scotian sound, defined with celtic undertones, but also blends together an unforgettable array of swing, country, folk, and salsa.  It's one of the most refreshing sounds in current memory, and has been a staple in my library since way back in January - a testament to its appeal. 

3. Gutter Demons - Misery, Madness, and Murder Lullabies: With their latest album, the Gutter Demons have created a Psychobilly gem that truly expands what the genre is capable of.  Misery, Madness, and Murder Lullabies shows a distinctly psychobilly band blending various genres together to create an album with something for everyone.  Punks will love the coarse vocals, rockabilly enthusiasts will love the song structures, and psychobilly cultists will go wild for the unparalleled mastery of the the click-thump-click of the upright bass.  Unfortunately the band played it's final show as of November 29th - R.I.P. - but the band's accomplishments will live on forever in this record.

2. Saint Alvia - Between The Lines: Every now and then an album comes along that you could proudly hear on the radio without and greet with praise.  I recognize Saint Alvia's masterpiece in second place because it achieves what most great punk albums cannot: kick ass tunes that not only sound impressive inside the genre, but that genuinely sound current and relevant to today's music in general.  That Between The Lines mashes together so many obscure influences and sounds and still achieves such a feat is truly remarkable.

 1. The Dreadnoughts - Legends Never Die: The Dreadnoughts' debut takes first place on my list because simply put, it's an instant classic by a band no one really knew existed.  Legends Never Die is hands down the best celtic punk album in years, beating out genre mainstays The Dropkick Murphys, The Real McKenzies, and Flogging Molly.  Some have called it "pirate punk," but that's a pretty narrow minded definition for something as addictive as this.  Furthermore, the album feels like it catches the Dreadnoughts' full live experience, and while I have yet to see them live, since they're based in my hometown, seeing The Dreadnoughts live is definitely one of my most pressing new years resolutions.  

No comments: