Thursday, June 4, 2009

What I'm Listening To - April and May Edition

It's been a busy  few months, but somehow I manage to still keep this place alive.  I even found time to write two reviews for the brand spank'n new releases by The Brains and The Dreadnoughts.  Not bad eh? Where do I find the time...

April was a pretty good month for me.  Specifically, it was a hot month for new punk releases.  Vetran Hellcat Records Street Punkers Left Alone put out their new self titled album to positive critical response, as did British psychobilly group The Grit.  Melodic punk rock group Unit F released their debut full length, and the Montreal country punks in Yesterday's Ring finally released their followup.  NOFX came back after a three year absence with Coaster, and Asian Man Records introduced a new band, For.The.Win., to the world.  I also finally got around to listening to a great little debut EP from Higher Giant, and finally remembered that I wanted to listen to the debut album from a great new, highly passionate street punk band known as The Have Nots.  The indie front was kind of slow, but I found myself really getting into "I Said Stop!"'s lively debut CD, Save the Dinosaurs - definitely worth checking out.  

May, also a little lighter, was also quite good to me.  Red Scare Records finally put out the great new Menzingers EP they had been boasting about, I found out about Alberta's folky country Rum Runner through their latest release, and got my hands on a new album by Dusty Rhodes and the River Band.  I also picked up the latest two Stomp Records releases, the first being a rather enjoyable second effort by The Real Deal, and the second being a reassuring followup by Vancouver's favourite sea shanty quintet, The Dreadnoughts.  In terms of indie I indulged in Electric Owls' long awaited full length debut, and was introduced to long time electronic group Fischerspooner.  

No comments: